Music Banter - View Single Post - what the largest animal you could kick to death?
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2010, 10:02 AM   #102 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post
The cassowary has the ability to run at speeds of up to 50 kilometers per hour, shredding through branches, sharp leaves and the elderly with its bitchin helmet (called a casque). Think you can get away? Guess again--it will run you the **** down.
Well, Freebase, this cassowary sounds like my kind of bird, when I'm in one of my misanthropic moments! Shy, but able to defend herself if necessary.

I decided to look up cassowary to learn whether there is some truth to what you quoted, and (according to Wikipedia), it turns out there is:

Quote:
Cassowaries are very shy, but when disturbed, they are capable of inflicting serious injuries to dogs and children.

Of 221 attacks studied, 150 were against humans. 75% of these were from cassowaries that had been fed by people. Of the attacks, 73% involved the birds expecting or snatching food, 5% involved defending natural food sources, 15% involved defending themselves from attack, 7% involved defending their chicks or eggs. Of all 150 attacks there was only one human death.

The one documented human death caused by a cassowary was that of Phillip McClean, aged 16 years old, and it happened on 6 April 1926. He and his brother, aged 13, were attempting to beat the cassowary to death with clubs. They were accompanied by their dog. The bird kicked the younger boy, who fell and ran away.

Then the older boy struck the bird. The bird charged and knocked the older boy to the ground. While on the ground, Phillip was kicked in the neck, opening a 1.25 centimeter wound. Phillip got up and ran but died shortly afterwards from the hemorrhaging blood vessel in his neck.
Cassowary - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It was an unlikely death: the cassowary inadvertantly hit an artery when kicking the older boy, who with his brother had ganged up on the bird and were attempting to beat the cassowary to death with clubs. If only this would serve as a lesson to those who go on the offensive to kick animals to death.
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote