Music Banter - View Single Post - I need some guitar suggestions.
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2010, 06:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
Mikael
Groupie

Quote:
Quote:
Another thing to keep in mind when shopping for the guitar, is that all guitars (even those of the same model) are different. The first thing I would do is just find a place with a large amount of different guitars, then just strum a few chords, without even plugging them in.
this is VERY IMPORTANT advice as well.

especially about not plugging in. an amp can't make up for a bad instrument, it can accentuate or obscure elements of the instrument's tone but ultimately it's up to the quality of the instrument.

if it doesn't provide you with a full and satisfying tone when it's unplugged you WILL end up as one of those guys who's always looking for that last piece of magical gear that will cement his sound into place. aka the guy who ends up wasting all his money on accessories he doesn't need because he never got the right piece of gear in the first place.

as for the VG Strat - holy crap did the clerk start drooling when you asked him for advice? for real. you told him you were going from a cheap acoustic to your first electric and he recommended a $2000-ish instrument with built in synth/modeling pickups??? if you ever go back to that store do yourself a favour and don't EVER ask for an opinion / advice again. specify what you want and don't let them steer you from your decision. that clerk was playing you for a fool and trying to maximize HIS profits at your expense.
Will do. And I'm looking to take my business elsewhere, if I can find something that has what I need. Gonna send in a nice lil' complaint first... doubt it'll do much, though. But if it does I hope that ****er gets fired.

One more quick Q for the time being:

Are there any noteworthy magazines or good sources to invest some research/time/money/etc into that discuss the ins and outs of different guitars/guitar parts/toneswoods (just started reading about **** like this)/amps/etc or are things like that more of a learn-as-you-go sort of ordeal?

Quote:
It's soft and clean instrument but if we want to go really cheap and I have a pair and use them as drum overheads and they sound just great and also do search we really worth checking.
I like giraffes, too.

Last edited by Mikael; 06-10-2010 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Grammar. Punctuation. I'm bad at them.
Mikael is offline   Reply With Quote