Music Banter - View Single Post - I need some guitar suggestions.
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2010, 08:25 PM   #16 (permalink)
rnrloser_IX
Music Addict

NP. That is exactly how I think and operate. Its great because you can troubleshoot your own problems by yourself and when/if you ever want to change out parts, you usually have a pretty clear idea of what the outcome will be, besides it is really fun. As I mentioned, my friend builds guitars and after he showed me his work and started explaining how things worked within the guitar while he was changing my first pickup, I became hooked with the idea. When I'm older I also would like to build my own guitars in my spare time. I'm still young (finishing my junior year in highschool) so for now, I've adopted a "project" guitar. Its an old Jackson Dinky with Floyd Rose, but it needs massive clean-up. I'm working on rust removal, but previously fixed the input to work good as new. I'm currently trying to select a new bridge pickup and continue work on refurbishing the hardware. So if you're interested in that stuff and considering building your own guitars, you should go find an old guitar and fix it up so you can work on your craftsmanship. Thats how my friend started, with a Squire Bullet and he discovered the body was made entirely of plywood. He decided he could do a better job himself and the outcome was some damn fine instruments.