Music Banter - View Single Post - Maybe it's just me, but...
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2010, 03:35 AM   #11 (permalink)
CAPTAIN CAVEMAN
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
mainstream music is garbage because it's sold as a product to passive listeners who are more interested in having the 'correct' topical background soundtrack to their daily lives as per their peers than they are interested in actively searching for music that speaks to their soul.
i don't think the bolded is true for most; but definitely some. i think these three things are true for most mainstream (by which i mean music featured on popular TV and radio programmes) music listeners:

- they have generally conservative tastes (no musical extremes) and mainstream music is probably the least extreme in musical aspects.
- they do not grow bored of what they like as often/quickly, and mainstream music provides more than enough fodder presented in slightly different styles for them to occupy themselves with.
- they are either not motivated to find (or are not interested in finding) new artists.

of course, these three things are not dependent on one another.

this doesn't mean they are more interested in fitting in with their peers necessarily, -though that may be the case for some- just that they have no interest, no internal reason to expand their musical tastes. which is fine, who cares? i think that applies more to most mainstream music fans than mainstream the group you mean, who have externally caused reasons for listening to music, such as to gain approval, impress others, fit into a group, etc. this is more appropriately contemptible, but not true for the majority of mainstream listeners, i think.
CAPTAIN CAVEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote