Music Banter - View Single Post - Shoegaze
Thread: Shoegaze
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2010, 07:20 AM   #272 (permalink)
dankrsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySlips View Post
I think Wire's 'Map Ref 41°N 93°W' is kinda shoegazey, it certainly has some cool trippy guitar effects. MBV covered it as well.

Sonic Youth's 'Beauty Lies in the Eye' as well, I think that's quite shoegazey. They're not often thought of as shoegaze but they're definitely an influence on the genre. This song below was released in 1987 (i think it was).

YouTube - Sonic Youth - Beauty Lies In The Eye

older bands like The Byrds and the 13th Floor Elevators have some stuff that's quite reminiscent as well.
You're right about Sonic Youth, they are definitely one of the influences and that is especially evident on songs like Beauty Lies In The Eye (as you mentioned) and also Shadow of a Doubt. But these songs are basically Sonic Youth sound from the mid 80's just with a more abstract noise, trippy, floaty etc. But it's still Sonic Youth 'cause when you compare it to shoegaze SY has a more solid sound with a certain schizophrenic tension towards collapsing at any time.

Good point on the 13th Floor Elevators. Spacemen 3 reminds me of them very often and not just because they covered Rollercoaster.