Music Banter - View Single Post - Trying to record drums in synch with guitar
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2010, 10:55 AM   #26 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Default Recording high and mid toms without rasp of bass drum

I have a new question for you drummers out there:

When I record my drums, I've found that the microphone attached to the high tom to record both the high and mid toms also picks up a very low vibration from the bass drum (to which the tom-toms are mounted). Is having the microphone on its own stand (not mounted on the toms) the best way to prevent this low rasp?

I have tried reducing the low frequencies in the high/mid tom recording with an EQ audio plug in, without success so far. So, I've resorted (for now) to just recording the bass drum separately (played alone). I'll plan to get a new microphone stand, but I thought I should ask first if there is another way around this problem.

Ideally, I would like to record all the drums at the same time. How do people usually avoid the low rasp of the bass drum being picked up by the microphone(s) attached to the high and mid toms?
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote