Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2010, 01:27 PM   #2663 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Paranoid Android is still the highlight of OK Computer for me. And what Mr. Dave says is very true, it's all about context. It's like how Sega Genesis graphics don't look very advanced today but back in 1989 it would have made you j1zz your pants. A lot of landmark albums are the same way.

OK Computer came out in a time when pop music was probably at it's absolute worst, the whole boy band thing. And all the experimental bands were indie and stuff. Radiohead were a band with mainstream appeal and totally put that on the line to make a really experimental record. No it's not THE most experimental record to have ever come out, obviously. But it's brilliance was how it balanced it's experimentation with it's accessibility. It really was the Dark Side of the Moon of the 90s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sljslj View Post
They seem to be more popular than they're deserving of, but there's a hundred other bands I could say the same thing about, most of them to a much greater extent than Radiohead, so... *shrug*
Also, the bolded part seems to epitomize overrated-ness. But maybe I'm just missing the point (which I seem to do very often these days).
You gotta remember that originally the critics outright despised Radiohead. But like Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and Queen before them, once they became culturally significant, critics did a 180.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote