Music Banter - View Single Post - Shoegaze
Thread: Shoegaze
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2010, 05:38 PM   #273 (permalink)
GravitySlips
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankrsta View Post
You're right about Sonic Youth, they are definitely one of the influences and that is especially evident on songs like Beauty Lies In The Eye (as you mentioned) and also Shadow of a Doubt. But these songs are basically Sonic Youth sound from the mid 80's just with a more abstract noise, trippy, floaty etc. But it's still Sonic Youth 'cause when you compare it to shoegaze SY has a more solid sound with a certain schizophrenic tension towards collapsing at any time.
I fully agree with you, yes those two SY songs posess the dreamy guitar sound that I associate with shoegaze, but ultimately they still have that SY vibe which I think is a very distinct one. I think similarly a few Dinosaur Jr songs could be seen as shoegaze precursors, but I'd definitely not call them shoegaze. These bands are definitely big influences on the genre (I remember reading that a Dino Jr tour of Britain was a big inspiration to lots of shoegaze bands that arose in the early 90s)... obviously though, things like Loop, Spacemen 3, the Cocteau Twins and the Jesus and Mary Chain were also happening in the early/mid 80s. I think these are the most obvious bands with "early shoegaze" songs, further back though it's mostly gonna be psychedelic rock bands like the 'Elevators.

whatever the roots of it, I still love shoegaze!
GravitySlips is offline   Reply With Quote