Music Banter - View Single Post - Trying to record drums in synch with guitar
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2010, 10:52 PM   #28 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post
Short answer: Yes.

If you're only having this issue with your tom mic, the easiest way will be to just buy a stand for it, or (if possible) try to attach your mic clip to anything close enough to do the job without being physically attached to the toms.
Ahh, good...that's what I suspected. Thanks for verifying.

Quote:
Are you recording each drum mic into individual channels in your program? If so, (and you should probably be doing the following anyway for everything but the overhead mics) you probably have a mute tool in your program that you can use on each recorded drum channel to scrub-mute out everything where the individual hits aren't, or simply use a gate on each channel and set the threshold so that only the audio that reaches it in DB will trigger the gate and pass through. (some experimentation is required, especially with release and knee parameters).
I hadn't realized there was a mute tool for scrubbing out...and I hadn't thought of using a gate. I was just trying to reduce frequencies by trial and error withing the EQ audio plug-in...but I hadn't set any sort of threshold. That makes sense and I will try that.

In answer to your question, I have separate mics (sp?) on the snare, floor tom, and bass drum, and a fourth microphone for the high and mid toms, plus two condensor overhead microphones. I am recording into 6 channels and *should* be able to control the sound pretty well, theoretically.

Thanks for the help!
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote