Music Banter - View Single Post - Lady Gaga
Thread: Lady Gaga
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2010, 07:15 AM   #1241 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
I don't mind at all that Lady Gaga wore whatever she wanted to at the Mets' game...essentially a bikini (with coat...and then without). I see her as challenging the assumption that women need to be fully clothed to be respectable. And I see her as challenging the tendency of society to judge people, especially women, based on their clothing.
While that's all well and good, I'm sure you can't speak for everyone exposed to it in the public and how they feel about it. It's more a matter of respect for those around you than simply bumbling about in life concerned for only your own desires and no concern for who you may be offending. Especially children. If I was at that game with my kids, I'd have something to say.
Quote:
Also, why would someone want to look like everyone else, anyway? Conformity as a goal? Yuck.
Again, it's a matter of respect and decency, not conforming.

Quote:
I think people who are afraid to be different dislike those who aren't afraid, because others' boldness makes them face the unpleasant truth of their own fear. And if they dislike feeling distracted by someone's appearance, then they should blame their own lack of attention control rather than blame the person they can't keep their eyes off of. I like that Lady Gaga is bold, sometimes humorously so.
You're assuming that everyone who doesn't anti-conform is afraid to or even wants to. If it is to be reasonably asserted that proactive non-conformists do what they do simply out of being unafraid to do so, why can't ordinary people be held under the same standard? Why can't I, for instance, dress in a non-flashy way simply because I like to regardless of how many other people do the same thing? I would have had a different opinion when I was a teen and all that anti-conformity crap had some illusory bearing in my life, but I'm an adult now and I honestly can't place any more importance on making some kind of statement with my clothing than I could on deciding which side of the toilet paper to wipe my ass with.

And the whole "if you don't like it, don't look" argument fails when lines are crossed. The mistake people make is thinking they themselves define that line individually, but when you're sharing a world with the rest of society, the lines are drawn by all and are wide enough to be obvious.

Quote:
Also, Freebase, I'd think you'd be immune to seeing flashes of flesh, given that you've got Mardi Gras and all those goings-on down there.
Yea, and people don't take their children to Bourbon Street to watch boobs. Obviously, their are some shitbag parents out there... but you get the point.
Freebase Dali is offline   Reply With Quote