Music Banter - View Single Post - The Disorders and Character Flaws Thread
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2010, 12:10 PM   #50 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
Thanks Freebase

For me, it wasn't so much using rationality. I think that to your mind and body, becoming worried or scared in situations that have scared you before isn't necessarily irrational because even if the situation is harmless, you do have unpleasant experiences with it from before. I know some people are scared of spiders. If I had had a spider problem then, I think I would've been scared of getting scared when I met a spider if you know what I mean.

What helped was refusing to let fear control me so I would choose to do things, knowing very well that they would cause anxiety. Often, it would go better than I feared and even if it didn't, at least I was deciding what to do, not my fears. I externalized it in a way and refused to listen to it. It gave me back the control that the anxiety had stolen away from me. It took some time, but not long after I had actively started fighting it, I won just about every battle I had with my fears.

The change and the realization I could beat it didn't just happen out of the blue, though. For a long time, it was such a common feature in my life to be fearful, but then one day I was super excited about this IRC bot I was compiling and setting up .. nerdy, I know Still, later that day, I realized I had been so absorbed in what I was doing that I had forgotten about my anxiety. I had pretty much had a normal day! From then on, I knew that it was possible to have a life without fear, so I mentally grabbed a hold of the problem and actively decided to do something. I told my parents and even my teacher about how I felt which helped quite a bit and then I started battling it on my own. I went to a psychologist once and he said I was already well in a recovering stage where I would come out of it on top, so he didn't think I would need more counselling then.

He was right I think once you figure out the right way to battle it, there's only one way I think which is forward.
Ah, I see.
So it wasn't so much about controlling the fear itself as it was gaining control of the actions affected by fear.

Certain fears I have, like heights (being crippling... PARALYZING fears) I have no desire to ever want to lose, as I view it as anything but a handicap considering my lifestyle and aspirations... as I won't be needing to jump off of anything high or climb any skyscrapers any time soon... but others do affect my life in certain situations.
The problem is that the more I introduce myself into those situations, the more the fear becomes associated with them and it creates a negative feedback loop that seems counter-productive to the idea of therapeutic exposure, so I stay away for fear of making things worse until there's a better solution.
For me, that solution is alcohol... which is a magic elixir that completely transforms me into a normal person. It's obviously a dangerous position to be in... but to me, it's one damnation or the other, and the decision is far, far too easy to make.
Freebase Dali is offline   Reply With Quote