Music Banter - View Single Post - The Disorders and Character Flaws Thread
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2010, 12:19 PM   #51 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Yes, but I think controlling the actions made it easier to also control the fear mentally. It gives you some kind of edge and it changes your situation as a victim of your fears into something else which probably has important mental ramifications. I think actively choosing to do things which are scary has the power to break that negative feedback loop you mention.

Anyways, I agree that fear is a natural reaction and not always "wrong". I don't like great heights either. I mentioned I am a bit of a worry wart still and I think that also has to do with me learning that there are consequences for actions. I no longer feel a great need to endanger my health. I'm now the sort of person who would get scared if I ever ate fugu fish sushi for example.

If I think it's irrational, I try to do it anyways and then deal with the fear. If I think the fear is justified, I listen to it so my relationship with it has sobered up and become a bit more balanced since those 10 years ago. The important thing to me is it's not a major feature of my life anymore. I expect that will change when I have children one day, though.