Music Banter - View Single Post - This album > that album.
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2010, 05:32 PM   #358 (permalink)
OctaneHugo
Goes back & does it again

Relevant: I found a review I did of Synchronicity such an incredibly long time ago I don't think it ever saw the internet.

Quote:
ALBUM TITLE: Synchronicity
RELEASE DATE:: 1983

Song Number One:
Synchronicity I
The lead off hitter, the semi-eponymous song "Synchronicity I" is a light, fast-paced number that opens and features a constant, high synthesizer "bing" noise. Sting sings in a light, fast-paced tone about trances and dream lances and everlasting principles for about four minutes or so. Accompanied by some light guitar from Andy Summers and also fast drums from Stewart Copeland make the song a good one, though it can get a bit "old" at one point.

Song Number Two:
Walking in Your Footsteps
The song that can only be described as "jungle sounding" is entertaining and, certainly, interesting. This does not make it a good song, but it flows well and the prehistoric sounds mix well and the vocals are good as they are in just about every Police song. The scratches and drums and whistles are placed in the right spot at the right intensity and make this a good song to listen to, though not uniform.

Song Number Three:
O My God
A jazzy number with a catchy guitar and bass line and good vocals and even some good Sax playing. The drums are loud and hard (that's what she said) and flow with the song very well. It's five minutes of jazzy goodness and, dare I say, worthy of an all-jazz album the Police would make in a perfect fantasy world where they STOPPED BICKERING TO MAKE MORE THAN FIVE ALBUMS.

Song Number Four:
Mother
"Mother" is...intriguing, but in a bad way. Andy Summers performs screaming vocals to a Native American beat thing and while the main "riff" sounds fairly decent and I could listen to as an instrumental of sorts the vocals and other things just aren't up to par. Why is Summers, at this point nearing his 40's, acting the part of a tortured soul he obviously shouldn't portray? This should have been a humorous track Copeland does; he's a silly man (also what she said) and could have made us all laugh at some form of dark humor in a two or three minute song of sorts. Wasted oppurtunity.

Song Number Five:
Miss Gradenko
"Miss Gradenko" is one of the catchiest songs I've ever heard; listen to it, and you'll be humming it, thinking it and singing it for hours. It's an upbeat, light, very well made song by Copeland yet is quite dark in some places. It's something you certainly don't realize until you look at the lyrics and understand them. Great guitar, drums, vocals, all around performing.

Song Number Six:
Synchronicity II
Easily my favorite on the album and one of the best The Police ever did, this seven minute jam is a story within itself. It's catchy, dark, pleasuring (.dias ehs tahw s'taht) and just a phenomonal song with some great guitar, drums, vocals and a solo and closedown.

Song Number Seven:
Every Breath You Take
This song made The Police internationally known to rock the microphone. While assumed a lvoe song, it's actually a very dark tune that Sting wrote while going through a painful seperation. So, it's about a stalker of sorts, not a caring lover. Anyway, the drums, bass, haunting guitar line and other instruments featured all blend together perfectly and it's one of the album's heavy hitters.

Song Number Eight:
King of Pain
A very symbolic song that paints many different pictures. The backup vocals are excellent, as are the main ones, the guitar is killer and the whole thing is like a gift from some unknown source. Great song, no video like the other singles but coulda had a good one.

Song Number Nine:
Wrapped Around Your Finger
An excellent, long, well written epic about something I'm not clear of. Anyway, it's good, it's wrapping up the album, it's a slugger, it's great.
And uh it ends there. Guess I never finished it. It's pretty awful, and not because I say every song is great.

If Any Major Dude Has Yet To Tell You, Click Here
OctaneHugo is offline   Reply With Quote