Music Banter - View Single Post - The Rap & Hip-Hop Recommendation Thread
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2010, 06:13 PM   #53 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine View Post
Embarrissingly, I've got nothing (and I have been thinking about your question).
If you mean recent as in the past few months or even years - I'm out of touch. My favorites who thrived in the 90s and 00s haven't put out anything that I feel is worth recommending so I'm in the same boat. The last 'recent' hip-hop album I really liked is Born Like This by Doom (F you, haters) but I don't think it necessarily fits your parameters.
Maybe some individual songs by Ghostface are dark & unique enough but nothing really comes to mind.
I do recommend the latest album by Themselves but I'm not sure it's what you're looking for. It's fairly recent, definitely good and has a deep funky vibe but I wouldn't compare it to Geto Boys or the original g-funk sounds
Really what it is is this: I've been in this real hip hop mood lately but getting kind of tired of what I have and looking for something I haven't heard before. I'm basically open to whatever so if you have suggestions, fire away.

My first request was because I had been listening to a lot of gangsta type stuff and in the mood for more, though hoping for something a little darker. My second request has to do with the fact that all of the newer stuff I listen to tends to be people like Dalek, Mr. Lif, Busdriver, Aesop Rock, etc. who I first got into in the earlier part of the 00s. I still like these guys, it's just I feel like there must be somebody out there who's new and making great hip hop that I'm missing out on.

I'm kind of hit-or-miss with Themselves. But when they're at their best I do like them, I'll have to check the new album out.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote