Music Banter - View Single Post - This album > that album.
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2010, 09:10 PM   #362 (permalink)
OctaneHugo
Goes back & does it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Black Poppies View Post
Sonic Youth
Bad Moon Rising
so low it hurts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
hile they did trade out their old reggae influences for something new they didn't lose their substance, the lyrics have never been stronger, than melodies have never been stronger and the musicianship has never been stronger.
Oh lord, we're going to argue over the musicianship? Neither of us have the right.

The lyrics most certainly have been stronger, though. Like when they had actual substance and meaning and weren't a bunch of random overthought words strung together into song.

Quote:
Not fast paced rock =/= boring.

Sorry, but trying to make me seem like some sort of one-dimensional culturally insignificant moron isn't going to work. Not every Police song is fast, and Ghost in the Machine, which I said was good, isn't exactly speedcore.

Quote:
The Police were ALWAYS a pop band. And if you'd write off an extremely complex song as pop just because it has a really catchy melody then you are an idiot and you should join progarchives where all the other members of the anti pop brigade reside.
You not only manage to imply I hate pop music, but also manage to imply that pop can't be complex or multi-layered and ALSO imply that I'm some sort of prog aficionado who finds all other genres inferior.

Also, I'm not sure how you can say The Police were always a pop band..Outlandos was a punkish new-wave sort of thing most definitely, Reggatta is spans a number of genres (and I wouldn't call pop one of thme) and Zenyatta is decidedly new wave. Ghost is where the pop picks up and Synchronicity really goes full out on it (though certainly some songs are the exception..."O My God" "Murder By Numbers" etc).

Quote:
If you have listened to real synth pop, you'd know the subject matter was a little more straightfoward and sexual than say Jungian philosophy.
That's no different than thinking all black people are thieves and criminals. Just because there's a standard in place doesn't mean something can't qualify under it because it's different.

Quote:
One thing the band didn't come become was watered down, smoother production yes (and since you're a Pink Floyd and Steely Dan fan I can't see you having a problem with that)
Oho, 5/10 on the trolling. Textbook but certainly effective!

Quote:
more of an emphasis on jazz and world music, but Sting's songwriting abillity hasn't diminished
If "world music" now means bad. And while Sting could still pen a good song the lyrics progressed to just completely...not anything? I don't know.

Quote:
let's face it he was always the songwriter of the group.
Copeland and Summers penned plenty of fine tunes.

Quote:
They went from making simple love songs to making pretty grandoise stuff about all kinds of things and I can understand why you find that pretentious and prefer their older stuff, if you know anything about my tastes you'd understand why I prefer the latter.
Now you're implying I find anything remotely abstract to be pretentious. No, I find these songs pretentious. Song-by-song basis.
Also, saying they were writing "simple love songs" their whole previous career is simple incorrect. They covered a variety of subjects and there are plenty of political songs on their earlier records. It's not like "Walking In Your Footsteps" or "O My God" have lyrics that are completely out of line, or that "Every Breath You Take" has particularly deep meaning in it.

Quote:
Synchronicity is easily their most consistantly successful,
Now I don't know if you're trying to say the songs are successful or if you're inferring that commercial success means it's good (and if you are this conversation ends here).

Quote:
Your debating skills are just astonishing. What makes this one so bad and De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da a masterpiece?
Because "De Do Do Do" isn't musically terrible or vocally annoying? Also, try not to compare the two, especially because the latter's lyrics are much deeper than the "Every Little Thing".

Quote:
Omegaman is one of the most underrated Police songs, the guitar is crazy.
That's...cool? I said it gets old. It doesn't make any memorable impact.

Quote:
So you hate the album primarly for not sounding like the previous albums? So a band can't evolve? It's understandable if you prefer the older stuff but if you're gonna judge their music by nostalgia alone it's no wonder you're being so biased.
No? I was saying what I thought when I first heard it? I prefer the things they did earlier, that doesn't automatically mean I don't think a band can evolve; you bothered to insult my tastes in other bands, surely you're aware that both bands you mentioned and many of my other favorites evolved as well?

Also, you might want to get a dictionary, because "nostalgia" doesn't mean what you seem to think it means. Or if you do know what it means, you're using it wrong, or you're misunderstanding what I've said.

Quote:
I also want to know what is so terrible about Every Breath You Take, I think it's a great song just overexposed.
That kind of opinion makes me sick. "Hurrrr it'd be good but it's overplayed". Well shi‎t, guess I can't make a song people LIKE or else it'll be bad. I don't like the song because of how it sounds and such, not because it's overexposed.

Quote:
How is it any more of a Sting solo album than the others? He was always the primary songwriter of the band and Summers and Copeland didn't really have less input here than previous albums.
Oh, they TOTALLY DID, and chief songwriter doesn't mean it was his band. Outlandos and Reggatta it's CLEAR that Copeland is in charge, just because Sting wrote some of the songs himself and sang doesn't mean he was creatively directing it all. Zenyatta is a bit of fusion between the two, and then Ghost is where Sting really takes over. Sure you know about the relationships, yes? Summers and Copeland were pissed by the end because Sting basically took everything over and didn't seek their input on anything.

Quote:
The only song that really resembles Sting's solo material is Walking in Your Footsteps (the only song with a noticable absence of Summers' guitar) and I do consider that one of the low points of the album. But overall it's still very much a group effort.
Yeah, such a group effort that they fought the whole time they were recording, and that it's pretty obvious nobody had any say in the creative matters than Sting.

Quote:
If I recall, you're the one who told me to f*ck off because Synchronicity is my favorite album.
I never said that.

Quote:
You're the one trying to tell me how wrong I am.
And you're trying to tell me how wrong I am.

Quote:
And you're doing a very poor job of it so all you have accomplished is annoying the crap out of me.
You're the one who started this. I made this post and everything was civil and then all of a sudden you hit your period or some shi‎t and said I felt personally insulted or something.

If Any Major Dude Has Yet To Tell You, Click Here
OctaneHugo is offline   Reply With Quote