Music Banter - View Single Post - Tortured geniuses
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2010, 09:11 PM   #43 (permalink)
CAPTAIN CAVEMAN
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCunningStunt View Post
I didn't compare them, you did.
Quote:
how ironic, you comparing kurt cobain to mozart or beethoven by calling cobain a genius
go ahead and start finishing sentences, it'll help. the first two are more widely regarded as geniuses and calling cobain a genius calls him into comparison with other geniuses, f.ex mozart & beethoven.

Quote:
You said he wrote pop songs, comparing him with the likes of Lady Gaga. That wasn't the case.
i was comparing the lyricism, yes. upon further inspection of lady gaga's lyrics perhaps i was wrong in that comparison but my belief that kurt is far from a lyrical genius still holds strong. i'd rather not dig up examples...

Quote:
If you're saying Kurt Cobain isn't a genius because he isn't up there with Mozart then he isn't doing badly. Plus that'd write off a lot of musicians and songwriters, a lot of geniuses probably don't measure up to classical music. Although I can't say I can compare the two, I don't listen to classical music.
i'm not saying that. i'm saying kurt cobain isn't a genius because his creations/contributions did not imply such whatsoever. obviously your criteria for "genius" are much lower than mine, but to my knowledge "genius" identifies someone whose mind operates on a level that greatly surpasses simply being intelligent and creative, and their works show it.

let's see what outside sources have to say about genius:

From Wikipedia:

A genius (plural genii or geniuses, adjective ingenious) is an excellent intellect, excellent work or an excellent achievement. More than just originality, creativity, or intelligence, the adjective "genius" is associated with the achieving of unprecedented insight. This is called the spark of genius. The genius (the excellence, a noun) of a piece of work raises a perceiver's expectation.

From Dictionary.com:

1. an exceptional natural capacity of intellect, especially as shown in creative and original work in science, art, music, etc.: the genius of Mozart.

2. a person having such capacity.

You call cobain a genius because:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCunningStunt
Kurt Cobain fused hard with melodic, even though he wasn't the first person to do that, he still made brilliant records and brilliant songs. His lyrics were obscure and they touched a generation.
what does any of this have to do with genius, according to the definition of it? he wasn't even the first to do what he did, by your own admittance. touched one generation? good examples of geniuses i can think of off the top of my head have profoundly affected humanity for centuries.

PS. i don't listen to much classical music either, outside of a few contemporary composers - whom i'm not even sure if people consider "classical" (contemporary classical is a bit of an oxymoron, isn't it) since i know little about it besides general things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo
Caveman is still a lousy troll I see.
i've thought out argumentative posts & replies and you've come in here and said nothing but a personal attack and i'm the troll? shut the fuck up.

Quote:
his jumping up & down on his avatar just makes me wish that I could smack some common sense into the guy sometimes, right over the internet.
yea thats actually me in the avatar and i wont take no white boy fronting on the internet so watch yoself
CAPTAIN CAVEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote