Music Banter - View Single Post - This album > that album.
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2010, 11:01 PM   #363 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaneHugo View Post

The lyrics most certainly have been stronger, though. Like when they had actual substance and meaning and weren't a bunch of random overthought words strung together into song.
That doesn't describe the lyrics in Synchronicity at all. It's a lazy way to write off lyrics you don't care to anaylize.

You're seriously gonna tell me the lyrics here are inferior to lyrics like "Will you be my girl, will you be my girl, will you be my, be my, be my girl"?

Quote:
You not only manage to imply I hate pop music, but also manage to imply that pop can't be complex or multi-layered and ALSO imply that I'm some sort of prog aficionado who finds all other genres inferior.
You explictly stated that it's a pop song thus bad. There's other ways of saying a song is bad than simply saying it's part of a certain genre, which it isn't anyway.

Quote:
Also, I'm not sure how you can say The Police were always a pop band..Outlandos was a punkish new-wave sort of thing most definitely,Reggatta is spans a number of genres (and I wouldn't call pop one of thme) and Zenyatta is decidedly new wave. Ghost is where the pop picks up and Synchronicity really goes full out on it (though certainly some songs are the exception..."O My God" "Murder By Numbers" etc).
I actually think The Police got less poppy, not the other way around. Outlandos is definitely poppy, even the "punk" songs are really pop songs in disguise. Also New Wave IS pop music.

Ghost in the Machine had them experimenting with longer songs and more unusual structures and themes, I guess it's still pop despite that but it's more creative as well, and Summers was beginning to show a strong King Crimson influence, which is probably another factor in my prefering their later material.

Quote:
That's no different than thinking all black people are thieves and criminals. Just because there's a standard in place doesn't mean something can't qualify under it because it's different.

Oh holy mother of god, PLEASE don't tell me you just made a racism analogy out of this.

Quote:
If "world music" now means bad. And while Sting could still pen a good song the lyrics progressed to just completely...not anything? I don't know.
The lyrics are a little ambigious but not too much.

Quote:
Copeland and Summers penned plenty of fine tunes.
Well ok, Copeland did pen half of the songs on Regatta and he also has Peanuts and Miss Gradenko to his credit, and the nice Darkness closer from Ghost, and the hilarious Dead End Job.

Most of Summers compositions are weird avant garde or joke songs. I think Omegaman is the only truly great song he wrote on his own. Though Shambelle and Behind my Camel are nice instrumentals, the last one is really King Crimson-ish.

Quote:
Now you're implying I find anything remotely abstract to be pretentious. No, I find these songs pretentious. Song-by-song basis.
Also, saying they were writing "simple love songs" their whole previous career is simple incorrect. They covered a variety of subjects and there are plenty of political songs on their earlier records. It's not like "Walking In Your Footsteps" or "O My God" have lyrics that are completely out of line, or that "Every Breath You Take" has particularly deep meaning in it.
The first album is predominately love songs, they got deeper and more complex with every new release after that.

Every Breath You Take isn't that straightforward, it's rather clever in that it sounds like it's a sweet love song but it really isn't.

Quote:
Now I don't know if you're trying to say the songs are successful or if you're inferring that commercial success means it's good (and if you are this conversation ends here).
Of course not.

Quote:
Because "De Do Do Do" isn't musically terrible or vocally annoying? Also, try not to compare the two, especially because the latter's lyrics are much deeper than the "Every Little Thing".
The vocals in De Do Do Do is a lot more annoying than Every Little Thing. I don't see what's so annoying about the vocals in every little thing. But it's a very good, love Sting's basswork on that one.

Quote:
That's...cool? I said it gets old. It doesn't make any memorable impact.
You're the one who says Summers is an underrated songwriter and that's his best song.

Quote:
No? I was saying what I thought when I first heard it? I prefer the things they did earlier, that doesn't automatically mean I don't think a band can evolve; you bothered to insult my tastes in other bands, surely you're aware that both bands you mentioned and many of my other favorites evolved as well?
No I didn't, I love Pink Floyd and like Steely Dan a lot too.

Quote:
Also, you might want to get a dictionary, because "nostalgia" doesn't mean what you seem to think it means. Or if you do know what it means, you're using it wrong, or you're misunderstanding what I've said.
You're used to one thing and don't like change and that is nostalgia.

Quote:
Oh, they TOTALLY DID, and chief songwriter doesn't mean it was his band. Outlandos and Reggatta it's CLEAR that Copeland is in charge, just because Sting wrote some of the songs himself and sang doesn't mean he was creatively directing it all. Zenyatta is a bit of fusion between the two, and then Ghost is where Sting really takes over. Sure you know about the relationships, yes? Summers and Copeland were pissed by the end because Sting basically took everything over and didn't seek their input on anything.
I'm sorry but Sting dominated Outlandos. Only two songs are not credited to him entirely. Regatta was more of a duo effort between Sting and Copeland. Zenyatta is also Sting dominated.

Zenyatta and Synchronicity are the only Police albums where Summers and Copeland each composed one track entirely on their own. But overall every album except Regatta only has 2 or 3 songs where someone other than Sting gets songwriting credits.

Quote:
Yeah, such a group effort that they fought the whole time they were recording, and that it's pretty obvious nobody had any say in the creative matters than Sting.
That happens with a lot of bands, that doesnt mean the album isn't great, unless you think Sgt Peppers and Animals are terrible.

Quote:
I never said that.
You told me to go away and never come back, like seriously.

Quote:
And you're trying to tell me how wrong I am.
Only because you're coming off as annoyingly objectivist and I don't think you're very good at debating this with me.

Quote:
[qupte]You're the one who started this. I made this post and everything was civil and then all of a sudden you hit your period or some shi‎t and said I felt personally insulted or something.
You give off that tone all the time, I know what I'm saying, I saw when you were bitching at Jackhammer earlier.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.

Last edited by boo boo; 06-15-2010 at 04:31 AM.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote