Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2010, 07:29 AM   #2830 (permalink)
SGR
No Ice In My Bourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post
Haha we can trade off lyrics until we've exhausted both albums, that still doesn't make you right. Adore had phenomenal songwriting, but there was a reason it didn't sell. It didn't sound like Smashing Pumpkins. It sounded like exactly what it was: Billy Corgan. Jimmy was gone and they had hit a well known low point as a band. Darcy and James barely showed up and according to Billy the only time they had meshed as a band during the whole session was for "Shame".
I realize this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post
Machina II, on the other hand, sounded like everything the Pumpkins should have been at the time. They could rock while maintaining that musician's edge. If I had to point to one single sound that I could have hoped they would have held on to for a couple albums, it would be Machina II. Adore definitely proved Billy has incredible songwriting talent, but Machina II showed he could do it within the context he put forth as a band.
Machina II was the same sound as Machina I, and if were being completely honest here, the Machinas do not sound like pre-Adore Pumpkins. Billy described it as cyber proto rock or something like that. So Machina was just as new of a sound as Adore. Well, maybe not AS new considering it was guitar centered while Adore had little to no guitar. If were talking sales, the Adore sound sold better than the Machina sound. Still, 'Behold! The Night Mare' has better lyrics than anything off of Machina 2. During the Machinas he was writing lyrics that pertained to his little made up story about Glass and The Machines Of God, while during Adore he was writing about the pain of losing his mother. That's gotta count for something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by +81 View Post
Chris Cornell, Audioslave, and Soundgarden are lame and ugly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
as for the whole 'band' effort? you do know Cornell played most of the leads on the album because Thayil wasn't around that much anymore right? there's a good reason Never the Machine Forever is the only track that really sounds like new SG on the album.
No, actually I didn't know that, what's your source?

Even if that's true, the credits still stand.

Last edited by SGR; 06-16-2010 at 07:35 AM.
SGR is offline   Reply With Quote