Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2010, 07:41 AM   #2831 (permalink)
duga
MB quadrant's JM Vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundgardenRocks View Post
I realize this.

Machina II was the same sound as Machina I, and if were being completely honest here, the Machinas do not sound like pre-Adore Pumpkins. Billy described it as cyber proto rock or something like that. So Machina was just as new of a sound as Adore. Well, maybe not AS new considering it was guitar centered while Adore had little to no guitar. If were talking sales, the Adore sound sold better than the Machina sound. Still, 'Behold! The Night Mare' has better lyrics than anything off of Machina 2. During the Machinas he was writing lyrics that pertained to his little made up story about Glass and The Machines Of God, while during Adore he was writing about the pain of losing his mother. That's gotta count for something.
Just warning you...I have studied the Smashing Pumpkins like a religion, so I won't be able to stop myself from talking about them.

Don't misunderstand me about Adore. I love it...it is an amazing album. Lyrically, yes...it definitely is the strongest. However, I still stick to the idea that as Smashing Pumpkins and not Billy Corgan's solo project, Machina II was much much stronger. Pretend Adore never existed and go Mellon Collie to Machina to Machina II...it sounds like the natural progression the band should have been heading for the whole time. Billy Corgan even admitted that though Adore has grown on him over time, he still feels he didn't achieve the sound he was going for and considers it a failed project.

Also, Machina and Machina II sound completely different, so I'm not even sure you listened to them both the whole way through. Machina is a polished progressive "cyber punk" album as Billy puts it full of chord progressions that blend into one another (save for the few riff heavy moments like on "The Everlasting Gaze" and "Heavy Metal Machine"). Machina II maintains the progressive edge he was going for at the time while sticking to the pop sensibilities that made his other albums such hits. Honestly, if I were going to call anything cyber punk it would be Machina II and not I...I just seems like progressive alternative (yeah, I just made that genre up).