Music Banter - View Single Post - This album > that album.
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2010, 10:08 AM   #400 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post
Are you really defending St. Anger? Just about everything about that album was bad. It was Metallica doing nu metal...only at least most nu metal bands knew they couldn't keep everyone's attention going for more than 3 or 4 minutes. Metallica decided songs that are 7 or 8 minutes of half baked downtuned guitars would be a good idea. Then Lars's snare. Oh. My. God. My head feels like it is about to split open about 10 minutes in. And maybe a lot of people can get over the fact that there are no lead parts on St. Anger...I can't. Kirk is a great guitarist and I want to hear him play. Maybe I could have stomached the album if those songs had even 10 second solos in there.

And I totally agree, I don't listen to Metallica for poetry but those lyrics hit an all time low for the band. It didn't even sound like he was trying.
The drums don't crack, they clang, and cymbals cut out abruptly. There are no guitar solos. Once in a while a guitar lick lags behind the beat, and frontman James Hetfield's vocals occasionally veer off key.

Stranger still, that's exactly the way Metallica and producer Bob Rock wanted it to sound.

You can't blame them for trying something a little more raw. And btw it was Lars who suggested there were no solos. You saw how quickly that got changed. You've got a band who's ~40 now and they've been jamming together since 18. they are going to try and mix it up. Its really there only bad album objectivly. Unless you're (not you, an objective your) an anal-retentive "old skoool" fan who can't accept change, in which case you probably think there are only 3 good albums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaSho View Post
MF Doom Studio Albums:
Operation: Doomsday>Madvillainy>The Mouse and The Mask>Born Like This>Take Me To Your Leader>Unexcpected Guests>Occult Hymn>Venemous Villain>MF Doom & Trunks Presents Unicron>MM...Food>Vaudeville Villain
mmm food ought to be at the tippy top.