Music Banter - View Single Post - This album > that album.
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2010, 10:19 AM   #401 (permalink)
duga
MB quadrant's JM Vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
The drums don't crack, they clang, and cymbals cut out abruptly. There are no guitar solos. Once in a while a guitar lick lags behind the beat, and frontman James Hetfield's vocals occasionally veer off key.

Stranger still, that's exactly the way Metallica and producer Bob Rock wanted it to sound.

You can't blame them for trying something a little more raw. And btw it was Lars who suggested there were no solos. You saw how quickly that got changed. You've got a band who's ~40 now and they've been jamming together since 18. they are going to try and mix it up. Its really there only bad album objectivly. Unless you're (not you, an objective your) an anal-retentive "old skoool" fan who can't accept change, in which case you probably think there are only 3 good albums.
Fair enough. In my own defense, I did really try to give it a chance. I listened to it multiple times trying to let it grow on me since I was really into Metallica at the time. And believe me, I don't mind change...I fully support a band's decision to explore new sounds. I personally love the Black Album. Hell, I even like a lot of what's on Load and Reload. St. Anger just really doesn't do anything for me. The only reason I haven't listened to Death Magnetic is because I've honestly not been so much into Metallica in the past couple years, so I have no clue how that album played out. I am glad they didn't stick to the St. Anger sound, though.