Music Banter - View Single Post - What Is Your Definition Of A "Sell Out"?
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2010, 06:40 PM   #28 (permalink)
TheCunningStunt
love will tear you apart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine View Post
I don't know if the first part is true but the second part is wrong. If by 'underground community' you mean late-80s punk, well, Green Day was not respected by any underground community that I knew of. They were just another punk band who dyed their hair and sang in a fake vaguely Brit accent. The punks I knew at the time all hated Green Day - every last one. The band was a joke. I am a little surprised they ended up getting paid (cuz the music is so awfully trite and boring) but they certainly didn't sell out any worthwhile underground community
I'm not disputing whether they were loved or hated, the underground punk scene in California is where they came from. Playing at a load of small clubs making records on the cheap. I myself am not bothered about when bands go big. I know someone who has actually admitted he dislikes bands if their fanbase gets too big. He's too fucking Indie for his own good. I don't care about popularity, unless the band gets it by changing their style of music. I'm not saying Green Day sold out as such, because if they didn't, they wouldn't have made Dookie which I think is a good album. (Even if it's not proper Punk) I'm just saying that signing to a major label after saying they wouldn't could be perceived as selling out.
TheCunningStunt is offline   Reply With Quote