Music Banter - View Single Post - Prayers answered? Good Luck? Mind over matter?
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2010, 09:28 PM   #47 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
A quick question to you, Duga, and of course anyone else who want to answer. Do you believe that there is a sort of moral code that we will be judged by after we die?
I don't think so at all.
In my opinion, basic morality functions as an innate counterbalance that serves to stabilize the human species either as a whole, or as large enough factions to remain viable progenitors. Outside of that, I don't see any point in it at all, regardless of the personal meaning morality has to me as a piece of a larger puzzle. It's certainly not required in a balanced animal ecosystem's survival, so from a scientific standpoint, morality applies to us because it has to. Otherwise, we'd be all urge & ability and nothing to keep it in check, and would probably not be here today.

I don't believe in a sentient god-being, but even if I did, I don't think using variants of a basic human need as a comparative to judge worthiness would be fair or useful at all.
Freebase Dali is offline   Reply With Quote