Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2010, 07:39 AM   #2868 (permalink)
duga
MB quadrant's JM Vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
@ duga - Soundgarden was supposed to the that band that put Seattle on the map - not Nirvana. they were the first 'grunge' act signed to a major label, it just so happened that Nirvana hit bigger. Loud Love came out on a major and served to determine if they could actually be a mainstream commercial act. the fact that they went around the world opening for Gn'R to support Badmotorfinger kind of solidifies the idea that they were working towards mass appeal. though i don't think they had really started getting bent over by the machine for it yet.
I mentioned earlier about how Soundgarden was supposed to be the big band that broke grunge out. I'm sure the band wanted to gain as much recognition as they could...what band doesn't? I think the GnR thing, though, may seem like the big sellout but it wasn't really about them placing themselves in the context of mass appeal. Axl Rose was notorious at the time for finding bands to obsess over (for a time he wanted to turn GnR into an industrial act after he heard Nine Inch Nails)...so Axl asked Soundgarden to do it. Cornell even said it was a weird tour since no one had really heard them yet and playing songs no one knows in a giant stadium gets a little weird.

But yeah, the whole point I was making earlier was that saying Badmotorfinger was where they decided to start going down on the man isn't really fair.