Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official World Cup 2010 Thread
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2010, 02:49 PM   #528 (permalink)
GravitySlips
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojopinuk View Post
I dont think i am. I would never claim that all Scottish football fans are this way but you cant deny that alot of them are. Most of them that i personally have talked to have more to say about us than they do their own team.

Im sorry but this is the impression Scottish fans have left on me. Its not just about a rivalry between England and Scotland. Its all about anyone whatsoever beating England and forget what Scotland are up to.

If these people dont make up the majority then i would need the proof. Send some of the ones who i could have a bullshit free conversation with down to the North East will you?

Oh and i dont think any English person is actually expecting to win the world cup. The English arent exactly optimists. We might hope but we arent delusional. You know if we actually did get it together and everything fell into place, we would miss being able to complain about how rubbish we are.
OK, I think you are correct, at least to a small extent. I would say in Scotland, there definitely is an apathy toward the national team from some people, mostly Rangers and Celtic fans who are more concerned with Rangers and Celtic than the national team (for various reasons, some being pretty stupid like religion and genuine hatred between Rangers/Celtic fans).

But, I would still say the majority of us do care about the national team, despite the fact we know it's unlikely we'll progress through to the big tournaments. When we were involved in that tough Euro 2008 qualifying group with Italy, France and Ukraine, and nearly got through, almost everyone in Scotland was right behind the team. It wasn't so much the case in the world cup qualifiers, because we were back to the usual awful results, such as getting horsed 4-0 by Norway. Even though it was a fairly embarrassing qualifying campaign, most people were still behind the team... and to say most Scottish people don't care about our national team is very exaggerated in my opinion, and certainly is among most of the people I know...

I think that even if Scotland were capable of winning the world cup and everyone in the country followed the national team through-and-through (obviously this ain't gonna happen awrite!) - I still think most of us would enjoy seeing England fail. And to be honest, arrogant headlines like this one:

http://cdn.majorleaguesoccertalk.com...d-cup-2010.jpg

are one of the main reasons it's funny to see you guys fuck up. And sure, the media in most of the best football countries would probably say the same thing about that group (although for England, the headline appears more futile by the second ), but as we all see the same newspapers in Scotland and England, it gives us more reason to want England to make an arse of it. I think you're really overstating it if you're saying it's hatred or whatever else, although for some people it probably is (but these people are far from being a majority like you claim)

Of course, I think the fact that Scotland are too ****e to make it to a world cup plays a part in making us all seem more concerned about England than about our own team... but we do care about our national team, regardless of our enjoyment of england failing and regardless of the fact that our national team is fucking horrible!
GravitySlips is offline   Reply With Quote