Music Banter - View Single Post - [RELEASE] June Themed Comp : Songs by MB Members!
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2010, 08:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

I have to go shopping with the GF in a bit so I'll save the detailed comments for a bit later (with 28 tracks, I'd have to split that up anyways) and just start off with presenting my own few tracks on there.

They're all made sometime in the period of 18 to 21 years old, so it's a while ago.

Vatos Locos Guitarristas - Los Caballeros Del San Mondell

We had a studio in a school that we were playing around with. We had so many different band projects at the time and one of them was this mexican Ennio Morricone / Mariachi Band inspired quartet called Vatos Locos Guitarristas which was part parody of a norwegian guitar band with 4 famous (here) guitarists. The only recorded song is this one, Los Caballeros Del San Mondell. None of us actually know spanish, so we were just hoping it would somehow make sense. The recording itself is amateurish and even slightly out of tune I'm sure, but I still think it's charming. Especially after the modulation towards the end!

My contributions here are mainly in the songwriting, the vocals, the horse cloppety clop and all the various (stolen) sound effects .. Oh, and the whistling is all me of course! I'm pretty sure I don't play guitar on this one even if it's a role I would fill in the band were we ever to do anything today. I just recently wrote a song for this band, actually .. Hmm ..

Mette Marit - Flammenes Regent

This one is all me although our band Mette Marit technically has another member as well. I was into EBM and various kinds of mid to late 90s electronica. There was gonna be a local festival and we were asked if we wanted to play. Our old band which we played with the year before was sort of inactive, but me and a friend said "yeah, sure!" and we just figured we could make something new. I started tracking in trusty old Fasttracker 2 (brilliant mod tracker from 1993) and after about a week, I'd made an EP of sorts called "Hail to the King, Baby!". We called our industrial electronica duo "Mette Marit" because it's also the name of the norwegian crown princess and she was hot stuff in the media at the time, so we figured we could get some attention using that name.

I could've picked almost any song from this EP, but Flammenes Regent is the first one I made and sort of showcases what I was going for then. The title is completely random and means "Regent of the Flames". It of course features some stolen samples from here and there, but nothing that dominates the overall sound very much. I don't think anyone would mind.

Milo - Going Home

I was also musician in a demo crew back here using the nick "Milo" which was a bit of a joke on my expense involving a curly hairdo and a product for washing wool. We had one almost ambitious project about making a platform game where you play a girl who has to rescue her kidnapped friends from an evil professor with an army of animated toys. Sounds original? Okay, maybe not. anyways, I took the project perhaps more seriously than anyone and made a small heap of tunes for the game. Back then, it came pretty easy to me and I could easily make one a day because I enjoyed it a lot. I put "Going Home" on this comp which is a tune intended for somewhere near the end of the game when everything is all right and our heroes can return home to the village. It's choice was fairly random to be honest, but there you go!

The song - and just about all the others I made for this game - are made to loop, so .. when the song ends, in the game - well, t wouldn't, it would just skip back to an earlier place in the song. As an mp3 or ogg file, it ends a bit abruptly.

The game was never completed, so my tunes are pretty much what remains. If anyone wants to use them for anything, you could send me a PM.