Music Banter - View Single Post - [RELEASE] June Themed Comp : Songs by MB Members!
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2010, 09:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Here's my write-up for my tunes:
(both songs produced in Sonar 8.5 PE)

1up
This began as just a little project I was toying with, trying to mix different genre elements and such. (Nintendo-Fi?, IDM, Dubstep, and some classical violins)
There isn't much to write about, except that it's just a short, random experiment that happened to be recent enough for me to include in this comp. No backstory or hidden meaning. Just fun in the studio. The vocal clip came from some random philosophy MP3.

Caesura
I did this specifically for the comp and had a lot of fun with it. The pianos were played by me via MIDI controller with TruePianos, which is an amazing simple yet realistic piece of software. I'm not a piano player, so I definitely had to fix some things and timing, but I'm pleased with the result.
In the drop, I really highlighted my love for Hoover-esque basslines and there's a lot of layering going on there. I used a sampler and a synth for the bassline, sampler for the beat with some chops, another synth for atmos, some sound clips, a cut here, cut there, chop chop mangletits. Same general story for any standard Electronic song.

The song itself, as an entity, wasn't really inspired by anything and I didn't go into it with any expectations other than experimenting and seeing where it went. After playing on the piano for ages, the piano line emerged and the progression into the Trip-Hop'ish meat of the song was more a result of me getting sick of hearing the pianos... and eventually I found a way to make the two elements work together.
I'm almost embarrased to admit that it sorta sounds like something that would be played on a House episode or something, but I thought it came out well and I liked the atmosphere of it and how it seems to exist between two different emotions simultaneously.

Anyway, hope you enjoy.
Freebase Dali is offline   Reply With Quote