Music Banter - View Single Post - Favorite Album Covers
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2010, 12:01 PM   #297 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCunningStunt View Post
True, I never thought Dizzee Rascal was as respected now as Soungarden were in the 90s though. I always though Dizzee was actually quite poorly received but I guess if people on this forum like him (you and someone else I've noticed held him in high enough regard) then he must be more liked than I thought. I just always thought of him as being just another one of them in the charts doing watered down mainstream Hip-hop.
Well Pitchfork gave his first album a 9.4 out 10, NME gave it a 9 out of 10 and Robert Christgau gave it an A- so I'd say he was pretty well received, at least when he started out. As I mentioned before I'm only really into his earlier stuff, which was grimier. On his later stuff he sounds too much like he's trying to sound like an American rapper.

The point I was making to you really has nothing to do with Dizzee Rascal though, I was just using him as an example because he's someone fairly current who you don't like. There have been a bunch times that you have expressed surprise at me knocking bands or albums that you think of as classics. I was just making a point about the nature of those kinds of albums. At one time those Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden, etc. albums were current and I wasn't into them. I'm still not into them but now they're considered classics by some people. I'm sure you'll have the same experience eventually, whether with Dizzee Rascal or with someone else, and it will be surreal for you then just like it's surreal for me now.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote