Music Banter - View Single Post - [RELEASE] June Themed Comp : Songs by MB Members!
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2010, 01:30 AM   #16 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

alright. so i'm powered up and the headphones are snug. time to review this comp i'm skipping my stuff for obvious reasons (apologies for the quality for those with stylistically sensitive ears).

first up - Unchained Ballad. honestly, i'm expecting Righteous Brothers type stuff hehe.

Somber - nice little atmospheric guitar piece. fitting title. reminds me a whole lot of something near the end when it speeds up but i can't put my finger on it.

the Wanderer - more trippy atmospheric guitar stuff, the vocals are pretty hidden but it seems appropriate for this style.

Whale - actual singing over the trippy guitar. i'd call this one the best of the bunch. quite happy to be proven wrong about the Righteous Brothers angle haha

next - the man himself, Tore...

Los Caballeros Del San Mondell - very theatrical. i quite like the whole deal, only thing missing is a trumpet but you can't win them all hehe.

Flammenes Regent - about as far away as you can get from the previous track. how did you guys not end up giving the Prodigy a run for their money when they were starting out?

+81 now

the coral sea - glad i'm not the only super lo-fi here sounds like what one of my old roommates' used to make. the outro is way more awesome than the intro. don't take this the wrong way, but there's an old saying - if you screw up, play again so people think you meant it. i kept expecting to hear the half notes in the keyboard bit to repeat somewhere in there.

Blood & Milk - WTF Macho Man? haha but not a single 'oooOOOOO YEAH'? weird. really liked the middle part though.

Stone Birds' turn

A Breeze on the Sea - this is the 'right' one. very 'Spritiualized', very awesome. the vocal overdubs get a little distracting near the end though.

Flying Machines - bowing your guitar is fun and all (and looks super cool when you Jimmy Page it up) but the rosin makes a mess of the strings wasn't really expecting the aggression at that spot around 2/3rds.

Savior - by making sure to say it's 'not' a religious song you make it impossible to consider it without the subject in mind.

Janszoon (i always have to double check the spelling hehehe)

Boardroom - very Trans Am but groovier. i dig.

Mega-Awesome Dragon - i'm hearing Mouse on Mars through this one and that's definitely not a bad thing. then the trumpet takes it to a whole other place on top of that. awesome.

...and, this is long and i'm running out of things to say and i'm too hungry to do a 12 minute tune justice so i'll save them for tomorrow or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote