Music Banter - View Single Post - [Discuss] The MB RECORDS members album releases thread
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2010, 03:31 AM   #10 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

I recommend having submission deadlines...perhaps 4 per year to start...and actual planned release dates for the "albums."

Reasons: I think planned release dates will help stop this idea from dying a slow death during implementation, and I am probably not alone in being motivated by deadlines. Like you wrote in the shoutbox, if there is more interest in contributing to albums during the year, then the number of "albums" could be increased.

Having set release dates will also put a cap on the amount of time the "producer" (you, FD?) will have to dedicate to getting the compilation up.

You could also set up release special "Theme" albums (songs of same genre or songs about some topic) in addition to the four "albums" on which people just contribute the songs they want. For example, over the last year there were already 2 such "albums," kind of: the MB song contest (songs about MB), and Conan's mini MB Festivus song contest.

A more general comment: I always see newcomers getting rebuffed here for "self-promotion," which is supposedly against the rules until you have "proven" you are planning to stick around. Won't this album idea be creating the very blatant self-promotion that MB ostensibly rejects?

Since I know that sometimes musicians are motivated to make and share music with others simply because sharing their creativity is fun, I don't mind people sharing their music at all. Still, if others are worried about self-promotion, then you'd best set up some more MB "Country Club" rules for who can contribute to the albums (probably based on post counts).

Since I dislike country clubs very, very much, I wouldn't myself recommend rules about *who* can submit songs...I'd just put the cap on the number of songs per member per compilation, as others suggested. However, if a newcomer submitted some songs (not knowing about the supposed "no self-promotion" rule) and was told s/he he wasn't "acceptable enough" yet to do so, then that would be unfortunate and depressing to me. Making the rules about who may submit songs to the "albums" clear and consistent from the start would be best.
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 06-22-2010 at 07:47 AM.
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote