Music Banter - View Single Post - Your Strangest Music/Band/Album/Whatever?
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2010, 11:00 AM   #20 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaligojurah View Post
The second band so obviously belongs in this thread that I'm surprised somebody didn't mention them already, of course - The Residents, one of the most unique, weird, mysterious and bizarre bands with a great sense of humor. First albums I've heard by them were probably the weirdest - Not Available, Eskimo and Meet the Residents.
The Residents are actually mentioned on the first page, just not in elaborate detail. I guess you didn't catch the mention of their eskimo album .. Snakefinger sometimes played with them by the way.

I think the weirdest music I hear is old stuff like Vampires of Dartmoore, Cromagnon (thanks Anteater) and Amon Düül. The problem is, while weird, it's also often rather unpleasant to listen to or simply boring, for example Amon Düül's Psychedelic Underground. I like The Residents for the fact they are weird as well as listenable (usually) ..

What I've heard from Swans was also a bit boring. I get a bit tired of the fact that weird almost always means eerie or spooky. That's not necessarily a feeling which is very hard to evoke in people, I think. Neither do I think it really requires vast amount of creativity compared to other ways of being creative with music. Samla Mammas Manna, Gentle Giant, Tom Waits and Frank Zappa are/were weird, but I get the feeling they won't count since they didn't try to creep everyone out all the time.