Music Banter - View Single Post - New Wave
Thread: New Wave
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2010, 07:10 PM   #54 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankrsta View Post
^^That's very interesting VEGANGELICA. It's always nice to hear this from a personal perspective. I was a little younger in the 80's, more specificaly, I was in elementary school. I used to listen to a more commercial music from that time like Duran Duran, Pet Shop Boys, Frankie Goes to Holywood, and I liked electro pop (I can't remember what exactly). That's why I still have a soft spot for the 80's pop. Only later I learned about the term new wave and what was it all about and what other more interesting bands I was missing.
Oh, I also love a lot of the music from the 80s, dankstra. I remember Gary Numan's "Cars" (1979), which you posted earlier, though I didn't realize until today that is officially considered New Wave.

Duran Duran! Hee hee! Frankie Goes to Hollywood! They were very popular when I was in high school. I remember listening to them at parties with friends. And I remember when I was in Berlin in 1987 I went to a Duran Duran show. Somewhere around then I saw Frankie Goes to Hollywood, too. I don't think of them as New Wave but as pop.

But since we're on the topic of Duran Duran, I just looked up Duran Duran in Berlin and found the show I went to: "April 16 Duran Duran: Deutschlandhalle, Berlin, Germany (no opening act)." Duran Duran was a guilty pleasure: I hated the fact that they were so mainstream and popular and I hated the blatant sexuality of "Hungry like a wolf." I didn't want to succumb! But I really liked that "Rio" song and some others. And I thought the singers were cute. Gaa! I remember an Italian friend and I both bought the big, glossy show program...for the pictures.
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote