Music Banter - View Single Post - [RELEASE] June Themed Comp : Songs by MB Members!
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2010, 02:01 AM   #25 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post
The dreamy quality of the elements presented here work together very well and give me an emotion that feels like it's experienced through half-opened eyes on the edge of sleep while drifting, lost, in the middle of an ocean on nothing more than a leaking raft.
holy crap thanks dude

as for the quality it's because everything was recorded from the floor directly into the built in mic on our friend's beat to hell macbook from like 5 years ago. there was no such thing as a second take or separate tracks with us, everything happened live in the moment or never at all. the funky interlude was from the basement jams - recorded on a pair of hanging mics from the ceiling into a cassette deck, actually got semi-decent quality mixes after establishing room settings on all the gear.

oh yeah, i only have 2 hands and therefore there is only one guitar on any track. hehehe

might as well do a few more too hehe

Milo - Going Home - didn't check this one out last time and disappointed. very subdued U-ziq stylings, probably my favourite of the bunch. really liked the bass note slide near the end.

Space is the Place - Life Metal - i liked the intro way more than the song until the fuzzy bass kicked in.

i'll try Saviour again now - very Caribou with less autotune i have a hard time making out the lyrics at times and the parts that do come clear could be taken as somewhat spiritual but it's hardly to the detriment of the music.

alright... VEGANGELICA. 12 minutes eh?... i thought about sending a 35 minute track

Evergreen - i've been on a Luscious Jackson kick lately and this fits in nicely. a little more folk-ish than funky but still cool. the violin is very nice and smooth. ever listen to Imani Coppola? holy crap it's over but it never felt long, i can't imagine talking that much for that long let alone singing it haha

Free - the chorus on the guitar makes this feel very 80s to me. at times it sounds quite a bit like 'Eye in the Sky' by the Alan Parson's Project in the way it's put together. again holy wordy hahaha the instrumental bits remind me of mellower King Crimson too, very nice.

Isle - PUNK ROCK! i like the vocal overdubs. where you obviously enjoy singing basically non stop have you ever thought about writing separate vocal parts for each channel? also was that banjo near the end or plucking the strings on your violin?

Rickenbacker Identity Song - more punkish stuff and i like it. the vocals come through nice and clear. wasn't expecting that folky switch, liking it. reminds me of the untitled half of John Frusciante's first solo disc. but less tweaked out screeching.

The Bullet. Out 2 Haunt U - WAY ambient. reminds me of Fantomas' Delerium Cordia but less chaos. the only time i liked listening to it was for background noise while playing a video game. and yeah, it sounds like humping. then fapping. microphonic feedback is never nice to the listener either. you could make a decent haunted sounding track from the material you have here, but like FD said, it sounds like a sound effects reel, the solos were interesting (especially the last one with the wah) but felt tacked on and out of place from everything else being very processed.

Antonio - i remember checking out your youtube tracks way back when and i dug them quite a bit. i get the impression jamming with you would be ultra fun.

Funkology - the first few seconds said Jane's Addiction then - what the hell kind of wah is that? - kicked in. and a super noodly solo to top things off. very Hendrix-ian, awesome

House of Dead - wasn't expecting electronic stuff but i definitely dig. like funkier Selected Ambient Works.

Warhead - WMD - as heavy as that last one was ambient, but based on that first track it begs the question... why no blazing solos?

WWWP - your name is way too hard to type. sorry hehehe

Negating Expectations - wow. really like the vocal overdubs for the chorus. really like the way the harmonica fades itself in and out too especially earlier on. just wow though.

Freebase Dali

1up - i'm a sucker for super layered dub-ish electro stuff like this. really like how it transfers smoothly through so many different elements.

Caesura - i can't help but think Mogwai before the trip-hop shift but the crushing guitars never come. then again it wouldn't get played on tv with crushing guitars hahaha. reminds me a lot of the Boom Boom Satellites after switching, mainly because of the 'sonar' beep that keep hitting on time. really good track, i quite like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote