Music Banter - View Single Post - Ask A Foreigner
Thread: Ask A Foreigner
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2010, 05:14 AM   #422 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleG View Post
What's the public transport system like in developed countries? (Cost; How many people use a certain mode, anything else).

Same question for televised programming. (Cost; Number of channels on cable/satellite, anything else)
In the US public transportation really varies. In the bigger cities it's usually pretty good. Elsewhere, no so much. In Philadelphia, where I live and which I would describe as a sort of a second-tier American city (1.5 million people), we have two subway lines, trollies, and extensive bus and light-rail service. It's not bad but it doesn't run late enough and some parts of the city don't really have access.

As far as TV goes, I don't have cable so it's free for me. And I get maybe 12 or so channels that anyone would actually want to watch, plus probably another 12 with crappy local programming, infomercials, religious crap, etc. When I had cable, it cost $40 or $50 a month and I had maybe 20 or 30 channels that might be of potential interest and then probably an equal amount of filler. That was one of the really low end packages. Higher end packages I believe run somewhat over $100 a month an give you a couple hundred channels.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote