Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2010, 07:52 PM   #3046 (permalink)
clutnuckle
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
So the music part isn't even worth critiquing?

And I see it very differently, everytime I listen to it I always want to listen to it all the way through save the aforementioned tracks which feel very disconnected from everything else anyway. I think much more than DSOTM it's an album that's really greater than the sum of it's parts and the way each song builds up from the next I couldn't understand why someone would skip over tracks that segue others together, like ignoring One of My Turns and going from Young Lust to Don't Leave Me Now. It just doesn't work that way.

Also I don't think the album is supposed to change you, and I didn't know that was a requirement that music had to fufill. I like the theme, it's a cold album but it's supposed to be, and the themes of alienation and depressing and how that leads to bitterness and hate while a relatively simple theme it's something I relate to and I think the album handles it all in a way that only Pinlk Floyd could.

Concept albums dont have to have super intellectual complex LSD mind altering themes which is what you hinted at. But beneath all the gloom and cynicism it does have a pretty strong and universial message about alienating yourself from others.

But really, f*ck all of that I just like the damn music which you failed to address completely.
I never hinted at 'LSD mind altering themes'. All of my favorite albums do something for me. I feel their presence. The Wall sits there for 80 or so minutes where absolutely nothing happens. Why should I appreicate 80 minutes of a void?

Music? Okay. It randomly flourishes, in between several average ones. I genuinely like most of the 'music', and sitting through those individual pieces isn't a chore, though I see nothing that sets it apart, makes it shine. The sparse 'extra' instrumentation doesn't make it any more unique, and underneath its often some juvenile writing. The repeated themes (ie. those guitar licks in the ABITW series) aren't even worth hearing once. Especially when they return in the last section of the album. Another prevalent theme like the one in Hey You/The Trial is fine, but like its counterparts leaves no impact.

The music on its own is likable, and that's it. The thing that drags it below average is the sum of its parts, which is odd because it's often the opposite.
clutnuckle is offline   Reply With Quote