Music Banter - View Single Post - Portugal. The Man
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2010, 04:25 AM   #58 (permalink)
sidewinder
Engorged Member

Just saw these guys live tonight, and I was very impressed! I've known of them since their debut album but was never really that intrigued by what I heard. I mean sure, all signs point to them being a band I should enjoy. But I think it might have been the vocals I was turned off by. Anyway, a friend asked me just yesterday if I'd be interested in going to the show, so I decided to sample a few of their more recent albums. I'm talking just 30-second clips here. And I was surprised to see how many albums they've put out since the debut in 2006. So the more recent stuff seemed more appealing to me, and I downloaded an album. Long story short, I didn't get a chance to listen to it today but decided to go to the show anyway. From the first song I was pretty much hooked. I think what helped is that the vocals were a little low in the mix at the live show, and I was able to focus on the instrumentation which I really liked. It's really right up my alley, a good mix of post-hardcore, indie, a bit of math, a bit of 70s metal grooves, and some soul. I'm looking forward to checking out their albums now, great show.