Music Banter - View Single Post - Music Shop Apprehension
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2010, 01:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

as much as i tell people to go there i personally HATE dealing with people in most music shops hahaha. out here they all seem to be staffed with failed rock stars / local 'legends'. if you're not already part of the clique then you're basically not getting service.

the last big ticket item i purchased $1389.20 (receipt is still on my desk). within a month i was in the same store, standing over the pedal display case with a friend. wallet in one hand, pointing down at the Boss TU-2 in the case with the other and telling my friend it's the one i plan on buying.

4 clerks walked by me in this scene - they were ALL chatting it up with their buddies though. so no sales were made.

that same store changed locations a couple of years ago and was bought by a larger chain. i gave them another chance, was feeling eclectic and wanting a melodica to fool around with. so i'm in the store and the actual manager / guy who runs the whole show is the one dealing with me as a customer that day. come to find out he's been running that store for as long as i've been breathing and knew my old man quite well. laughs his ass OFF when i ask about either having melodicas in stock or ordering one through the store.

he stopped laughing once he noticed that he totally failed at possibly selling me a $300 'kid's toy' (i wouldn't have bought that model but whatever). the arrogance at Long & McQuade is appalling.

i also remember having this conversation at a music store.

Dave - hey there, you guys carry flatwound bass strings right?
Clerk - yup!
D - excellent! can i get a single E please? i've been on the hunt for a replacement forever.
C - sure! here you go - (hands me a regular roundwound E)
D - sorry, i meant a flatwound E
C - we don't sell those individually.

this actually happened to me TWICE while trying to replace that effing string. why the hell would i start specifically talking about flatwound strings and be happy with a roundwound replacement? it's like going to a butcher shop and talking about the awesomeness of steak then having them turn around and try to sell you chicken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote