Music Banter - View Single Post - Sugar's Musical Reflections
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2010, 04:55 PM   #81 (permalink)
Arya Stark
"Hermione-Lite"

Wintersleep: "New Inheritors" at first listen and a little bit of "Untitled"

Wintersleep holds a simplicity that not many other bands do. Not too many lyrics in a song, not too many instruments to handle, not too much noise. When I first heard the band, I was on the 8-hour bus ride from home back to school. +81 had made me a Back To School Pack of music to listen to.
I had listened to a few other bands, and as soon as Wintersleep's "Untitled" started playing, I fell asleep. When I woke up, I noticed the album was already over, but I felt relaxed and searched for the album so that I could listen consciously.
Ultimately, I think this is my favourite band of all of the ones +81 sent to me. I can listen to it while I’m doing homework, or sleeping, or cleaning my room… it just happens to fit a lot of my daily activities.
I usually listened to the album as a whole, not giving much thought to each individual song, but “Listen[Listen, Listen]” caught my eye one day when I was sitting in front of my computer. The lyrics are simple, like I said, and there aren’t many of them, but I can never get some of them out of my head…
And even if the words don't sound right,
I will love you till the day my heart dies,
till the day my heart dies.

And even if this ain't the right light,
you're prettier than anything,
you're prettier than anything that I'd
prettier than anything that I'd write.

Of all of the songs to choose, of course Sugar picks the cheesy one. This song is just different to me. I am always telling people that they’re beautiful or attractive, I think everyone has something amazing about them. Once, someone told me how ugly they were and all I wanted to tell her was that I couldn’t stop looking at her because she was so beautiful. She told me the light was tricking me, that if she turned it off, I would think differently.
She turned off the light.
She was still gorgeous.
So I’m sure you can see now why I so easily identified with the speaker in this particular song.

New Inheritors
was different for me.
I was expecting another simple album, something I could grasp at first listen.
I’m afraid this will need a few more listens before I can truly make a decision, but I felt some of the songs were a bit repetitive, mostly "Encyclopedia," and some of the songs were too loud.
I like the vocals overall, but I have to literally sit down and listen to the album as a whole.
So far, I don't know if I'm too impressed.

MB Journal.
Azucar y Especia. My blog.

Last edited by Arya Stark; 07-02-2010 at 08:18 PM.
Arya Stark is offline   Reply With Quote