Music Banter - View Single Post - Clannad
Thread: Clannad
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2010, 07:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
jackhammer
Ba and Be.

Default Clannad

It's no secret that these are one of my favourite bands and since Enya used to be a member and a few people on here like her music, I am hoping that a few of you may just checkout this band.

Clannad (Gaelic for family) have been in inception for 40 years and although they haven't released an album for over ten years they still remain one of Irelands most popular and iconic bands.

Starting life as a pure Gaelic Folk band playing traditional Irish Folk standards in their original language, the band found fame in the U.K with the only Gaelic language song to reach No1 'Harry's Game' which accompanied a TV series of the same name.

The band then went on to provide the soundtrack to the highly succsessful TV series 'Robin Of Sherwood'. With it's incorporation of myth and mysticism Clannads music fit the series perfectly.

By 1987's album Sirius the band fell into a commercial trap (forced by the record company. Surprise, surprise), making music that unfortunately has been following them ever since with the tag of 'New Age' but the band soon returned to their roots with their next album Anam.

What makes Clannad so timeless is not only the Vocal and Harp work of front woman Maire Brennan whose voice can melt hearts at fifty paces but also the bands steadfast approach to using traditional instruments and continued use of their own native Gaelic language.

If the New Age tag you have heard associated with this band has put you off then I urge you to rethink and listen to a band whose lyrics, instrumentation and ambience is to be applauded and not derided.

One of the very few bands who calm me whenever I listen to them without ever becoming stagnant.

Vids:

Albums:

Clannad II
Magical Ring
Anam
Landmarks

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote