Music Banter - View Single Post - Music Shop Apprehension
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2010, 11:31 PM   #17 (permalink)
Astronomer
we are stardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred View Post
I go to two music stores: the local one in the next town, and Long & McQuade when I visit the hometown.

The local one is owned by my guitar teacher who opened it this past Christmas. I go there to buy drumsticks, strings, picks, cables, stuff like that. My brother purchased his used Ibanez Artcore guitar through the store as well. My guitar teacher is a genuinely friendly guy who does value his customers so I support him at every chance I get. He's told me that one of his suppliers does Danelectro, so I'll probably be getting my next guitar through him.

Long & McQuade's got a lot of stuff and I bought my first and only guitar there. I go there mainly to browse, but when they have sales, some good bargains are to be had. Only downside about the store is the tendency to attract 30-something wankers who play 19+ shows with their ****ty band at local venues in hopes of some day making it big.
Yeah that describes a lot of the people who work at stores around here, which I hate.

For anyone in Australia (and possibly NZ?) I usually go to Billy Hyde... although I've come across a couple of wankers they are usually really nice, helpful people. Because they stock everything from electric guitars to classical instruments there's always a large range of experts in store who not only know their shit but aren't condescending, intimidating wannabes! I bought my first acoustic guitar, electric guitar, and bass from Billy Hyde music... I didn't buy my new bass from there though because they don't really stock a huge range of Ibanez basses, in particular the one I wanted, so I had to go somewhere else.

For those of you who don't buy your instruments from music stores, where about do you usually get them? Online? I could never buy an instrument online I don't think... I need to feel it in my hands first!