Music Banter - View Single Post - Jean-Luc Ponty - Enigmatic Ocean (1977)
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2010, 07:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Default Jean-Luc Ponty - Enigmatic Ocean (1977)

So!

This thread is for discussion Ponty's 1977 release Enigmatic Ocean. It was the Prog & Fusion Album Club homework assignment for week 25, but of course everyone can join in the discussion.

This is what I wrote about the album when I suggested it :

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore
Jean-Luc Ponty - Enigmatic Ocean (1977)

This is an excellent album from the french virtuoso jazz-rock violinist Jean-Luc Ponty. Before this solo record, he played with Frank Zappa on various albums like f.ex Over-Nite Sensation and Apostrophe ('). He was also a member of the much acclaimed fusion band Mahavishnu Orchestra led by John McLaughlin where he played on albums like Apocalypse and Visions of the Emerald Beyond.

About Enigmatic Ocean, well .. what to say? It's generally regarded as one of Ponty's finest efforts and, according to the Wikipedia article, it reached #1 on some jazz billboards 1977. Having listened to it, I can see why. Unlike some fusion out there, Ponty composes and plays with a style which is pleasant, easy to like and easy to get into. If jazz rock and fusion is your thing, you will like the album from the first listen on. Although there are no guarantees in life, this one comes pretty close.
So, what do you think about it?