Music Banter - View Single Post - Jean-Luc Ponty - Enigmatic Ocean (1977)
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2010, 07:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

So, I've already stated some opinions on the album. I think I can supplement it with a bit more.

I kinda like the groove of this album. I like the way the way the melodies play on top of a traditional drum beat and riff like it for example does in Mirage. The simple riffs and traditional time signatures make this a sort of standard fare when compared to fusion masters like Return to Forever or the Zappa compositions he's recorded earlier, but it makes the album real easy to get into and it's really well done I find. I like the fact it's a jazz rock album I can put on and immediately connect with on the first listen. I definetly have room for this kind of stuff in my collection.

Overall, I find the tracks to be quite similar stylistically, though some are a bit funkier than others etc. The good thing is I find them all enjoyable and when I listen to this album, I usually just put on the first track and take it from there. There are no super-standouts for me on this one. For example, I like Trans-Love Express, Mirage, and Enigmatic Ocean Pt. 2 and Nostalgic Lady with a same-ish amount of appreciation. Neither do I think any songs really reach the height of amazing brilliance, but the fact the quality is so consistent makes it easy for me to rate this as a "very good" album.

What do you guys think?