Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official World Cup 2010 Thread
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2010, 12:30 PM   #1012 (permalink)
right-track
Atchin' Akai

Once upon a time Scotland produced a wealth of class players, until the Old Firm began to spend it's money on foreign imports.
The big 2 rarely produce any home grown talent anymore and Scottish football has not only suffered on a club level, but quite tellingly, on a national level as a consequence.
English football looks to be suffering in the same way.
What concerns me more with the advent of UEFA's level playing field approach concerning club teams in the future (the limiting of clubs spending within there profits) is the effect it will have on foreign players signing for English clubs.
The logic being foreign players will be more expensive than home grown talent and the short term effect that will have on English football.

It could be argued that the less foreign players, the more opportunity for English born players to gain the experience necessary to become top quality footballers.
Something I think we can all agree we don't have in abundance at the moment.
The problem with that is, the process before we can produce enough of these top quality players is going to take years.
Decades even.

The current state of affairs may be the cause of the Premier League fat cats, but the long term solution lies with the F.A.
Not just with the future of the England team, but with the future of English club football at home and in Europe.

For English football to progress and succeed the F.A. need to implement their own blue print for the future of English football before it's forced upon us by UEFA & FIFA.
Not only do I believe it's too late, but the F.A. seemingly have no plans in place whatsoever.

Some, if not all of these points below have already been mentioned. One, or two may even be in place. Although I doubt it.
What's obvious to me, is all of the below should already be in place by now.

1. Introduce a self imposed limit on foreign players playing in the Premier League.
2. Ban clubs from signing any foreign players under the age of 18.
3. Coach young players at grass roots level with the emphasis on skill.
4. Reduce the fixtures by cutting the Premier League to 16 clubs, force all clubs to play at least 8 reserves in the League Cup, or scrap it completely.
5. Allow all clubs with European commitments to rest the weekend before the fixture.
6. Introduce a winter break similar to the Bundesliga.

Disclaimer. Typed quickly due to pain in the arse kids doing my head in. :/
right-track is offline   Reply With Quote