Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official World Cup 2010 Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2010, 06:15 PM   #1081 (permalink)
Bulldog
why bother?

I think if anyone's gonna get the best out of Smalling, it's Fergie. As I'm sure we all already know, his track record as far as fleshing talented youngsters out into fully-developed and at least international-class footballers is nothing short of incredible (Giggsy, Becks, Gary Neville, Scholesy, Rooney, Ronaldo etc). By the sounds of it though (I know next to nothing about the chap), it may take more than the next season before Smalling properly emerges as a player.

By the time Brazil 2014 comes around it'll be obvious to anyone, even whoever's in charge that the likes of Gerrard, Lampard, Joe Cole and John Terry just won't be able to hack it anymore at international level. It'll be less obvious in time for Euro 2012 though, which is why I think at least most of that abomination of a squad of ours may very well still be regulars by then. I really do hope there'll be big changes in the England setup by then, but it's so much more plausible that there will be by 2014 though.

As for Wigan, barring an absolute disaster of an injury to him next season, I fully expect Victor Moses to impress again. He probably won't get a call-up, but I reckon he'll be on the England manager's radar by 2011 though. Ben Watson may take a season or two longer. Either way, both of them are among Wigan's most promising youngsters, and I think they'll definitely both get call-ups sometime over the next years, whether they're at Wigan or we haven't been robbed of them by some bigger lot
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote