Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official World Cup 2010 Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2010, 06:56 PM   #1083 (permalink)
Bulldog
why bother?

The trouble is though that we've tried the whole 'English manager for an English team' thing pretty recently, and Steve McClaren turned out to be the worst England manager of all time according to the statistics. Harry Redknapp's has as many trophies McClaren had, but I see where his fans are coming from, as what he's done at Spurs in particular since taking charge of a relegation-threatened side was nothing short of spectacular. I don't like him on a personal level though - he's a bit too much like a dodgy estate agent for my liking I think we should stick with Capello 'til 2012, as I doubt there's much more anyone else would do in his place in that time. Plus it'll give any potential candidates more time to add to their CVs - people like O'Neill, Redknapp or Hodgson to win an FA Cup or two, something like that.

I can see how it's hard to see any club outside the usual suspects having anyone called up for England, as you say, but it's still a possibility, especially if we can get a bunch of friendlies organised against some nice, easy teams (although, given our performances of late, that'll take some doing). As much as I hate to admit it, I can see Moses and Watson getting snapped up by bigger teams over the next season or two, and if truth be told that'll probably be the only way they'll get into any England squad. That said though, Chris Kirkland got a call-up when he was at Wigan (I forget when it was exactly), and Emile Heskey re-emerged onto the international scene as a latic too (just at the start of 2006-7).

Jimmy Bullard's probably my pick for one of the best England players that never were, at least from a Wigan standpoint anyway. He's well past it now, but in Wigan's debut Premiership season (ie before he went to Fulham and did his knee in) he was an absolutely mesmerisng presence in midfield, and really deserved some recognition from Sven. Going back a long, long way (early 70s) we had a midfielder by the name of Geoff Davies who was immensely talented (scored a ridiculous amount of goals per season, and went on to play with the likes of George Best, Johann Cryuff and Pele in the NASL too) but never got his chance with a big club as well. Matt le Tisser springs to mind too - alright, he had a few caps to his name, but his form going into it really should have got him into our France '98 squad.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote