Music Banter - View Single Post - poem for a girl, what else
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2010, 10:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungalow View Post
JUST an inch off the ground,
Just a black and tan hound,
Just a stray that you found,
Barely saved from the pound,
Just five inches around,
And just won’t settle down
When harmonicas sound,
But will prance ‘round and ‘round
'Til the thing is laid down on the table.

A curious, leash’d leader ever

Tickl’d by leaves of grass, annoy’d
No doubt by his lack of stature,
Desperate to be distinguish’d, fear’d,
He—perpetually manipulated, forever
Cute.

I am King Charles! Full of shit and piss!

A stream of urine for the world that would demean me!

I piss! I
shit! I piss on shit! My bladder is
Rarely empty! Stand aside, Giants! Move

Faster or unleash me! Why does your nose

Not quiver? Why does your mind not race?

And back inside, to reclaim his couch’ly throne.
Hmm...this is an interesting poem about how you imagine a puppy feels since he is doomed to be perceived as cute.

I read the poem last week and again today, because bits of the imagery stuck with me: the grass brushing the little puppy's belly, and your line, "Perpetually manipulated, forever cute." Also, as a vegan I like that your poem takes the perspective of the puppy rather than the perspective just of humans.

At first I thought your post included two poems...until I realized the second part contains the dog's thoughts, showing his disdain and desire for domination! I think I was thrown by the "I am King Charles," since a dog would never think that (at least, I don't *think* so! but I'm not a dog person, so maybe I just don't realize dogs have dreams of grandeur).

Your poem reminds me of a cartoon I like that shows a cat's owner looking disconcerted as he watches his satisfied-looking cat who is thinking, "If I were bigger, I would eat you." Ha ha! Probably true, which is what makes it so funny.

I have one suggestion for all your poems, bungalow. I feel you should drop the archaic contraction of words that end in -ed, such as when you write "leash’d" instead of "leashed." People read "leashed" as one syllable now anyway, so getting rid of the "e" is unnecessary. Using a contraction as you do makes your poems look very old-fashioned...though maybe that's what you want?
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote