Music Banter - View Single Post - Joe Satriani - Overrated?
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2010, 06:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Railton
Groupie

Theory and teaching abilities:
Joe has an amazing amount of theoretical knowledge despite being self-taught. He is actually a theory expert. Not only on the guitar, but music in general.
Teaching?
Joe Satriani has the incredible gift of teaching. He is one of the most successful guitar teachers throughout the time. Some of his students has even caught a bigger fame and popularity than
Joe himself. Steve Vai and Kirk Hammett is two of the most successful persons he has taught.
That must describe some of his abilities

Song writing and creativity:
This is one of Joe specialities. It is really hard to describe as it is such a big subject, but I will try to explain some.
Satriani is a very all around music composer. He creates unique, unbelievable, beautiful pieces of music. He is really creative and loves to explore different types of music.
Joe Satriani is probably that instrumental guitarist who has explored the most types of music and played them.

Sound:
Joe is really a perfectionist regarding his sound. He spend a lot of time for getting the perfect sound for each song. And when you hear Satriani play then you know its him. His sound is really unique and amazingly warm. Nobody can reach that sound. I have heard a million covers of his songs on Youtube. Nobody has reached the right sound yet!

Style:
Joe has created his very own style of playing with a lot of feelings . Really unique and uncoverable. Many people have tried and still try to cover his songs. But no one can reach the exact same style, sound and emotional playing the way that Joe does. He can't be covered

Instruments:
Joe does not only play electric guitar. He also play a variety of other instrument such as acoustic guitar, piano, banjo, harmonica etc.
Harmonica:
The Extremist (1:00-1:21 and 3:18-end) YouTube - Joe Satriani - Tortured Emotionally On Stage (9 of 11)
While playing this song live he actually plays the guitar and harmonica at the same time!
The Extremist Live 2006 DVD (0:59-1:17 and 3:12-3:31) YouTube - Joe Satriani The Extremist Live! 2006
Acoustic guitar:
I Believe (Live on MTV Unplugged 1990) YouTube - Joe Satriani ~ I Believe
I Believe is one of Satriani's songs with vocals by himself. Amazing live performance with an incredible acoustic solo.
Tears in the Rain (From the album “The Extremist”): YouTube - Joe Satriani - Tears in The Rain

Quotes about Joe Satriani from other guitarists:

Steve Vai: "You can measure skill and practice but not talent."
Marty Friedman “All I can say about Joe Satriani is. He's a fabulous guitarist and because of his music had brought a lot of attention to guitar playing in general. That's the good thing. The bad thing is all of us has to get compared to him because he's so good. He raised the bar so high it makes it harder for the rest of us people try to keep playing”Said on Satriani's 20th Anniversary Celebration for the Satriani signature Ibanez models
Doug Doppler: “Hey Joe. Many congratulations for everything you have achieved and all the things you done to establish a higher standard for all guitar players and having the best tone and having a great feel and more importantly being an amazing guy. Thank you”Said on Satriani's 20th Anniversary Celebration for the Satriani signature Ibanez models
Paul Gilbert: “Joe Satriani rocks”
Said on Satriani's 20th Anniversary Celebration for the Satriani signature Ibanez models

What has he done to the music industry?
He is a person who revived the guitar instrumental music. Satriani became the most successful rock instrumental guitarist since Jeff Beck. He started a new era of guitar instrumentals. Radios started playing instrumental songs much more often than previous.

How would the world of music be if Joe Satriani didn't play guitar?
This is a really hard question. But 2 things are for sure.
No Joe Satriani = No Metallica WITH Kirk Hammet
No Joe Satriani = No Steve Vai
Guitar instrumental music wouldn't be this popular as it is now
So lets thank Joe for those things he has done!

Is this person really overrated?
If he is overrated then explain this to me. Why does some of biggest guitarists consider Joe Satriani as a saint on a guitar?
What is your sight of Joe Satriani after reading this article I wrote?

Underrated/Original/Strange/Pieces/Creative songs:
(You're) my world (This song hasn't got anything unique or orignallity it, but it is still really underrated): YouTube - joe satriani - you're my world
Circles (The riffs before the solo is really unique and amazing): YouTube - Joe Satriani - Circles
Searching (The riff at 2:52-3:17 is really unique and full off energy): YouTube - Joe Satriani - Searching
Crowd Chant (Just an amazing song that really communicates and creates connection with the crowd): YouTube - Joe Satriani: Crowd Chant (Live)
A Day at the Beach (New Rays from an Ancient Sun): YouTube - Joe Satriani - Day at the Beach (New Rays from an Ancient Su
Cool #9 (This blues song has a really jazzy feel to it): YouTube - Joe Satriani - Cool #9
Starry Night (This song is just wonderful to listen to. The piece from 2:40 to 2:45 is just amazingly touching and beautyful): YouTube - Joe Satriani - Starry Night (G3 live in Denver)
Sleep Walk (50's music styled): YouTube - Joe Satriani - Sleep Walk
The Crush of Love (Amazing riff!!!): YouTube - Joe Satriani - The Crush of Love (live)
Friends (Just an underrated song with feelings!): YouTube - Joe Satriani - Friends
And many more

Other:
Why is all Joe Satriani albums considered as heavy metal albums?
Everytime I enter a store and look for Joe Satriani, then I need to look in the heavy metal section?
AC/DC is harder rock than Joe Satriani's music and AC/DC is in the rock section? Why? :S
Railton is offline   Reply With Quote