Music Banter - View Single Post - When Does A Movement Die?
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2010, 06:43 AM   #11 (permalink)
Screen13
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
A lot of punks had pretty deplorable taste in music overall. I mean they were supposed to be anti commercial and everything but these guys were sh*tting on progressive rock which just happened to be big at the moment while praising stuff like Bay City Rollers and The Ohio Express, I mean come the holy f*ck on.
It's to me clearly a major, and very understandable, part of Ramones World, but I feel that it was a feeling that was shared through The US in The Mid-Late 70's.

I have a feeling that it was mostly with Early Punk fans (or really just plain outsiders) in The States, especially in the Midwest and other areas where there was not so much support for it, and those who did not buy Album Rock (Sadly the worlds of Prog and the more Mainstream-driven Album Rock were clearly blurred) were finding it tough to find anything sharp sounding. So, sadly it was even to stuff like "Saturday Night" or "Sugar Sugar" to find some kicks. There was no difference between great Glam and Bubblegum (Usually equaling Power Pop by the Late 70's), listening to the kick of the songs was all that mattered in that excitement-barren time.

Not on the major Defense for The Rollers, the Express or any others of the Class of Bubblegum, but there was a point back in The Late 70's (and no other time in my opinion). The acceptance of Bubblegum was clearly a return back to the simplistic Three Chord Wonders that immediately hit the ears, especially in The States where Corporate Rock Radio turned seriously crap (If you survived any albums by Styx, Foghat, Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band, the Breakfast in America-era Supertramp, and the like, you will know how bland things got). In a way, most of the Rock that was making it in was clearly not fun to listen to if you were on the outside and that fun was certainly out of the picture, so the sounds (I'm sure if they knew the histories, they would not have been so big on them...so little was written about them then) were the thing, and it was time to bring back some of that excitement by digging through the used record collections or Oldies Radio (As most of the classic AM stations were either MOR or Disco if they were not Talk) and getting some inspiration there. Over in The States, things were getting desperate to the point where something calculated and fake was preferable to hearing "Slow Ride," or worse, on the hour every hour.

Sadly, the powers that be used that spark and decided to use it for the New Wave...and everything fell flat from there.
Screen13 is offline   Reply With Quote