Music Banter - View Single Post - The Saturday 6-Pack
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2010, 09:16 PM   #4071 (permalink)
TheCunningStunt
love will tear you apart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
There's a guide called DSM-IV, Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. For each 'disorder' there is usually a list of symptoms or behaviours, and if you cover a certain number of those behaviours then you are considered to have that disorder and treatment is required. That's what I went through when I was having therapy for BPD. You'd find that a lot of people who are just grumpy and cynical and unhappy with life wouldn't cover the whole list of specific behaviours.

That being said I guess mental illness/ mental disorders is a very blurred territory and it is difficult to draw clear-cut lines.
Ah, interesting. I must find the guide to have a read up. The thing with that is, people who want time off work with a sick note could just read up on it, recite it to a doctor and hey presto.

I myself am always up and down, I'm happy just pinning it on being a bit cynical and a bit moody and unhappy with the way things are. However I never used to be like that, my glass was always half full, so I dunno. I wouldn't ever say I was bi-polar, I wouldn't really want to know if I was. I'm happy just classing myself as a bit of a moody b*stard aat times. Everyone has their good days, and everyone has their bad days.

Last FM
TheCunningStunt is offline   Reply With Quote