Music Banter - View Single Post - The Saturday 6-Pack
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2010, 09:49 PM   #4080 (permalink)
Astronomer
we are stardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojopinuk View Post
I know people who have definitely abused the system when it comes to getting imaginary depression-related illnesses diagnosed by the doctor. I've considered going to a doctor in the past for depression and i know this makes no sense but these people have put me off doing it. It makes no sense because for those who are genuinely depressed, they can get help. I've never been 100% sure that ive been depressed but when it came to picking up the phone and making an appointment i just figured that if someone could con a doctor into diagnosing them as being depressed when there was nothing wrong with them then do i really want to go to a doctor, have them tell me im depressed and not really know whether i should believe them or not?
That's why if you seriously think you need help for a mental or emotional disorder, you need to go to a mental health professional, not a general practitioner. There are mental health doctors everywhere. If you are serious about getting help, you should really try to get the courage to go to a mental health professional, GPs don't do shit. And like discussed, they just diagnose everyone who comes in wanting a sick note - they don't really know a whole lot about mental illness. That's what I've found anyway.